The Shimano Cycling World features the following highlights that expound the joys of cycling:
1) A panorama of moving interconnected sprockets and chains that is a conversational art piece. This artwork shows a clockwork of gears in motion. Below it is a row of interactive screens whereby visitors can view images of the joys of cycling with a wave of their hand.
2) Cycling Global which is a programme that connects a network of international cycling enthusiasts that will help introduce new cyclists into the loop. Cyclists will be able to enjoy global cycling experiences via this platform through trip journals, images and videos.
3) Visitors are invited to explore local cycling paths through a high resolution touchscreen platform, named Cycling Singapore. Cyclists planning a ride can benefit from the updates on the weather, air quality and traffic plus route builder and widgets that give useful information. The location of bicycle shops and the Park Connector Network (PCN) will also be highlighted at the press of a button.
4) The relaxing setting encourages social interaction among novice, amateur and professional cyclists. They can catch up with friends and browse through Shimano’s lifestyle products, books and references.
5) Experts from the industry and the public can converge at the stage area for scheduled workshops to learn about bike mechanisms, and acquire some basic bicycle technical knowledge. Specially designed to engage participants, the open stage area has a big screen and three collapsible platforms, handy as a venue for ‘how to’ events with mentors and professional riders sharing cycling tips presented through digital postings and live video feeds of activities and upcoming events.
6) A display of cycling components invites visitors to discover the innovations, technology, precision and the art of various bicycle parts. As functional as they are artfully designed, visitors, enthusiasts and budding designers can appreciate the inspiring precision work by Shimano.
7) A pictorial wall with a display of bicycles from the earliest push bikes and the pennyfarthing to present-day models is featured to pique the interest of visitors. They can also trace the history of bicycles and Shimano alongside other major world events.
8) The vast world of cycling is displayed through a collection of bicycles. Visitors can pull them out one by one to appreciate the diversity of bicycles. This part of the Shimano Cycling World promotes the values and joys of cycling, filled with nostalgia and anticipation of the future of cycling.
As the Singapore Sports Museum aims to be the centre of sports knowledge for the general community as well as sports professionals, Shimano Cycling World dovetails with this laudable objective.